NationalChamps.net  

Go Back   NationalChamps.net > College Football > College Football Boards

Old 05-08-2012
A Gun-Glutter

Send a message via Yahoo to tigercpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBevo View Post
But... my favorite was my 1969 Mercury Cougar... Cherry Red, with a 302 engine and flip up head lights.
My dad's 63 Ford Falcon.

She may not look like much kid, but, she can make the K-Mart run in 12 minutes.
Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA HERD FAN View Post
Mine was a 1968 Nova SS, which I bought in 1970, with the 375 hp 396 cu. in. big block, and M-22 4-speed. I ran it wide open most of the time, except when racing cops. After a couple of years, the suspension needed a major overhaul, and the Chevy dealer never could get it right again.

Before that, I owned a Coravir station wagon. I took the back seat out and converted it to a bedroom on wheels, with a bar. Fun times.

Regrettably, I have owned sensible cars since the Nova.
The death to all cool car owning.....had kids.....finally got them all out...for now....so I am once again "cool car enabled" after a 30 year hiatus.
Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBevo View Post
My FIRST car was a 1966 Chrysler BELVEDERE... a hand-me-down from my Dad's work car, to my sister, to me...

The floor boards were so rusted, you could see the road going by beneath you... so, I put carpet sample squares over the holes.

I think I changed everything that could be changed on that car... brakes, water pump, plugs, valve cover gaskets, lights, fuel pump..etc..

Eventually.. one day (THANKFULLY) .. the engine block just seized up.

I TAUGHT myself to drive that standard transmission (3 gears, on the dash)... when I was 15, with no license... trying to get take a homework paper back to my Algebra teacher before 4 pm.. so, I could get my "A"... He had graded it, but failed to record it and was giving me a "0", which was pulling down my average.

I nearly killed the engine trying to cross a major highway. Eventually, I just kept it in 2nd gear until I made it the 5 miles or so to the school.

Good times...
I had plenty of clunkers as a teenager, but my camaro was my first "real" car as a working professional....
Old 05-08-2012
Walking the Moonlit Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercpa View Post
My dad's 63 Ford Falcon.

She may not look like much kid, but, she can make the K-Mart run in 12 minutes.
Interesting that you mention the tried and true Ford Falcon. My family (folks and brothers) always had a couple of them. The last cars our family owned where you had points and a distributor cap to deal with. Truly, an outstanding automobile. That is why they stopped making them. Too reliable and easy to work on as your 50 year old fossil proves.

Last edited by Jim : 05-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2012

Kids today wouldn't have a clue how to drive a car with a standard transmission, Bevo. I taught my kids on a Camry with a standard transmission.

Is there a bigger adventure than sitting beside a kid just learning how to drive a standard shift, stopped on an uphill grade at a red light with a line of cars behind?
Old 05-08-2012
Supreme Member

Quote:
Is there a bigger adventure than sitting beside a kid just learning how to drive a standard shift, stopped on an uphill grade at a red light with a line of cars behind?
that was always my worst nightmare..

Once I learned, I LOVED driving a standard. The first car I bought myself, after I started working as an engineer, was a brand new 1982 Toyota Supra Turbo... All black, with a 5 speed, manual transmission and graphical tachometer. It had 286 HP, and cost $14,200. I loved it.. and, so did my bride-to-be!
Old 05-10-2012

Quote:
Kids today wouldn't have a clue how to drive a car with a standard transmission, Bevo. I taught my kids on a Camry with a standard transmission.

One of my twins, now a Marine, had to learn because he was a Valet as a teenager. The other twin now drives Marine Corps HumVees, trucks and all sorts of manual transmission weapons trucks and such....
Old 05-10-2012

Two Marines? Wow! You must be bursting with pride.